Thursday, June 7, 2012
Spicy Lentil Tacos
I love any excuse to put smashed avocado on top of my meal. By default, Mexican food is probably one of my favorite cuisines. I had the idea to make spicy lentil tacos while cooking dinner for my boyfriend last week. I was making him ground up turkey tacos and had just added a taco bell seasoning spice packet to his turkey. I was curious if I could add this seasoning packet to add more of a kick to lentils. I think lentils on their own can taste rather bland and need something extra to add flavor.
I love lentils because they are very quick and easy to cook. They are very healthy and have a lot of potential to create a variety of different meals. However, lately I have been getting a little tired of lentils and have been looking for a way to make them into a more exciting meal. For lunch today, I added the taco bell seasoning packet to my lentils and it was wonderful! It really gave the kick that I was looking for.
In the future I will look for a healthier taco seasoning packet. I think I have seen some at Trader Joe's. I finished off both of the above tacos for lunch today and was very happy!
The wraps for my tacos are my homemade gluten free wraps that I have made before and posted about here. They are delicious and I highly recommend that you try them.
Spicy Lentil Tacos:
2 cups of dried lentils
4 cups of water
Taco bell seasoning packet (or get a healthier version of this like I plan to do!)
Spring salad mix
1. Pour 2 cups of dried lentils into a pot with four cups of water.
2. Cover the pot with a lid. Bring the lentils to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
3. Allow the lentils to simmer for 20 - 25 minutes.
4. Once they are full cooked, drain the lentils to get rid of excess water.
5. Add the taco bell seasoning spice to the lentils and mix until well combined.
6. You can buy taco wraps or follow the recipe for gluten free wraps here.
7. Fill your taco with the lentils, diced tomatoes, spring mix salad and smashed